Statutory Forms FAQ
Q; While submitting Form 3CB-3CD, “Unique Document Identification Number” page is displayed. Though we have duly taken UDIN before uploading the tax audit report, I am not able to add the UDIN details. Should I select “I donot have UDIN / I will update later” inspead?
Ans; Bulk upload facility for UDIN is enabled for Form 15CB only. The feature will be enabled shortly. You may still go ahead and file the form by selecting “I donot have UDIN / I will update later”. Once the UDIN feature made available for all the forms, you can update the same in the portal.
Form 10 B
QI am trying to file and submit Form 10B.However upon submission, the page displays the following error "INVALID FORMAT FOR ARN". What should I do?
Ans; Before, filing Form 10B please update your profile from the “My Profile” section and ensure that all mandatory fields are filled. After updating your profile details, you can re-login and try again.
Q; Why do I need to submit Form 67?
Ans: You will be required to submit Form 67 if you want to claim credit of foreign tax paid in a country or specified territory outside India. You will also be required to submit Form 67 in case of carry backward of loss of the current year resulting in refund of foreign tax for which credit has been claimed in any earlier previous years
Q; What are the modes in which Form 67 can be submitted?
Ans; Form 67 can only be submitted online on the e-Filing portal. After logging into the e-Filing portal, select Form 67, prepare and submit the form.
Q. How can Form 67 be e-verified?
Ans; You can e-Verify the form using EVC or DSC. You can refer to the How to e-Verify user manual to learn more.
Q; Can I add an Authorized Representative to file Form 67 on my behalf?
Ans; Yes, you can add an Authorized Representative to file Form 67 on your behalf.
Q; What is the time limit to file Form 67?
Ans; Form 67 should be filed before the due date of filing of return as specified u/s 139(1)
Q; When I am trying to upload attachments while filing statutory forms, certain errors are being displayed on the page. What should I keep in mind while uploading attachments on the e-Filing portal?
Ans; – The error might be due to naming convention used in the file. Please avoid using any special characters in the file name and keep the file name small. In addition the size of the attachment should be less than 5 MB and the format of the attachment should be in PDF or Zip format only.
Form 29B & 29C
Q; I am not able to upload the Form 29B. How can I file and submit Form 29B?
Ans; Form 29B is available on the e-Filing portal. Form 29B is required to be assigned by Taxpayer to their CA.
Once the taxpayer assigns the Form, the CA can access this Form in his / her worklist.
Q; While submitting the form, the page displays the error “INVALID METADATA”. What should I do?
Ans; In case such an error is persisting, there is a possibility that there is a mismatch between the taxpayer selected or the Filing Type (Original / Revised) or AY is not in sync with your login credentials. You are advised to ensure no mismatch related to the mentioned parameters.
Q; I am unable to file form 29B for the assessment year 2021-22. The page is displaying the following error “Submission Failed: Invalid Input”. What should I do?
Ans; This issue arises when Part 3 of “Report of an accountant” field is left blank. In case the field is not applicable, you can enter “NA” in the text box provided below para 3 of “Report for an Accountant” and try resubmitting the form.
Q; I am unable to file form 29B for the assessment year 2021-22. The page is displaying the following error “INVALID FORMAT FOR ARN”. What should I do?
Ans; This is observed when “Profile” of the User is not updated correctly. Please ensure that there is no mismatch in the information filled in the Form and your profile. After updating your profile, re-login to the e-Filing portal and try again.
Q; While filing form 29B, Part C (Details of the amount required to be increased or decreased in accordance with sub-section (2C) of section 115JB), I am trying to enter the amounts by which the book profit needs to be increased or decreased by. However, the form is not accepting negative value. What should I do?
Ans; In is likely that you are working on old drafts of the Form 29B. Please delete the draft and file a fresh form.
Q; While filing Form 56F for claiming sez u/s 10AA, the page is displaying certain errors. Based on a notification on 29th December, 56F is removed and replaced by 56FF (only for reinvestment details). However, there is no change in section 10AA read with 10A. DI need to file 56F?
Ans; Both the forms are available to users in the portal. You may file the form based on the notification / guidance issued by the Income Tax Department and as per the applicable provision of the Act / Rules.
Q; When should I file Form 10E?
Ans: Form 10E has to be filed before filing your Income Tax Return.
Q; Is Form 10E mandatory to file?
Ans; Yes, it is mandatory to file Form 10E if you want to claim a tax relief on your arrear / advance income.
Q; What will happen if I fail to file Form 10E but claim relief u/s 89 in my ITR?
Ans; If you fail to Form 10E but claim relief u/s 89 in your ITR, your ITR will be processed, however the relief claimed u/s 89 will not be allowed.
Q; How do I know that ITD has disallowed the relief claimed by me in my ITR?
Ans; In case the relief claimed by you u/s 89 is disallowed, the same shall be communicated by the Income Tax Department through an intimation u/s 143(1) after the processing your ITR is complete.
Q; I am unable to add income details for while filing Form 10E for the FY 2019-20. What should I do?
Ans: Ensure that you are filing Form 10E for Assessment year 2021-22. In order to file Form 10E for Assessment year 2021-22, click e-File>Income Tax Forms>File Income tax Forms. Scroll down to find the tab “Persons without Business/Professional Income” Click on File now. Select Assessment Year as 2021-22 and click on Continue.
Q; I am filing ITR for the AY 2021-22. What should I choose as the AY while filing Form 10E?
Ans; If you are filing Income Tax Return for Assessment Year 2021-22, you need to select Assessment Year 2021-22 while submitting Form 10E.
Q: While filing Form 10E, I am unable to view the taxes applicable in the Assessment year. How should I proceed?
Ensure that you have filled in all income details (including previous year income details in Table A). The taxes will be automatically displayed based on the slab rate. Verify if the income as per the details available on the portal matches with your calculation and insert the amount of tax in the respective table.
Q; When should I file Form 10IE?
Ans: Form 10IE has to be filed before filing your Income Tax Return.
Q; Is Form 10IE mandatory to file?
Ans; Yes, it is mandatory to file Form 10IE if you want to opt for new tax regime and have Income under the Head “Profits and Gains of Business and Profession.”
Q; What will happen if Form 10IE is applicable to me and I fail to file before filing ITR?
Ans; In case you do not file form 10IE before filing your ITR, you can not opt for new tax regime.
Q; While submitting the form 10IE, displays “Invalid Input” or “Submission Failed!”. What should I do?
Ans; Before, filing Form 10-IE please update “Contact Details” (or “Key Person Details” in case you are an HUF) under “My Profile” and ensure that all mandatory fields are filled.
After updating your Contact details from your profile, you can re-login and try again.
Q; While filing Form 10IE, the AO details or Date of Birth/ Incorporation getting pre-filled. What should I do?
Ans: Please delete the old draft of the form by clicking on “Delete Draft” and try re-submitting Form 10-IE.
Q; While submitting the form 10IE, designation of Karta of HUF is not getting pre-filled under Verification tab. What should I do?
Ans; You are requested to update the “Key Person Details” under “My Profile” section. Re-login to the e-Filing portal and try again.
Q; I do not have any business income. While filing Form 10IE, I am unable to select “No” under “Basic Information” tab. What should I do?
Ans; In case you don’t have any business income and are required to file ITR 1/ ITR 2, there is no need to file Form 10-IE in order to opt for the new tax regime under Section 115BAC of the Income Tax Act, 1961. The option to exercise the benefit under Section 115BAC, in case you have business income, can be claimed while filing the respective ITR form (ITR 1/ ITR 2).
Q; While submitting Form 10BA, the page displays the error: “Error: Please enter valid values”. What should I do?
Ans: In case you are facing such issue while submitting the form, ensure that steps mentioned for updating profile are completed. Additionally, delete the old draft of the form by clicking on “Delete Draft”. Re-log in to the e-Filing portal and try again.
Q; While submitting Form 35, the page displays the error “Appeal fees paid should be either of Rupees 250, 500 or 1000 as the case may be” while entering the appeal fees challan details. What should I do?
Ans: Open the 4thpanel, i.e., "Appeal details”
- Please ensure that the mandatory fields like “Amount of income assessed” etc. are updated.
- In case of TDS appeal, it may be selected as “Not Applicable”.
Once these fields are updated, go to 7th panel i.e. “Appeal filing details” and try deleting and re-entering the challan details.
Q; While filing Form 10IC, I had selected “Yes” for “Whether option under sub-section (4) of section 115BA has been exercised in Form 10-IB?” Even then, the pre-filled “Previous Year” and “Date of filing of Form 10-IB” fields were missing. What should I do?
Answer: You should delete the ‘Draft’ Form 10-IC which is already saved in “File Income tax Forms” and start the fresh filing of the Form.
Q; While filing Form 10IC, one I have selected “Yes” for “Whether option under sub-section (4) of section 115BA has been exercised in Form 10-IB?”, the check box for “I do hereby withdraw the option under sub-section (4) of section 115BA exercised on…..” is not getting saved. What should I do?
Ans; You should delete the ‘Draft’ Form 10-IC which is already saved in “File Income tax Forms” and start the fresh filing of the Form.
Form 10-IB & 10-ID
Q; While filing Form 10-IB, the Basic details of the Company were not auto-populated correctly form “My Profile”. What should I do?
Ans; You should delete the ‘Draft’ Form 10-IB which is already saved in “File Income tax Forms” and start the fresh filing of the Form.
Q; While filing Form 10-ID, The “Assessing Officer” details were not getting auto-populated from “My Profile” . What should I do?
Ans; You should delete the ‘Draft’ Form 10-ID which is already saved in “File Income tax Forms” and start the fresh filing of the Form.
Q; I am unable to submit form 10DA as the following error message appears ‘Submission failed’. How should I proceed?
Ans: You should withdraw/delete old form which is already saved in “File Income tax Forms” and start the fresh filing of the Form. Ensure that all fields including address fields are fully updated in the verification panel and retry submitting the form.
Form 10 IF
Q; My PAN is registered as a credit co-operative bank registered under the Karnataka Credit Co-operative societies Act, 1959. As per section 115BAD, I wish to opt for the lower rate of tax. Even though all the conditions are satisfied as stated in section 115BAD, I am still unable to file the said Form 10-IF. What should I do?
Ans: As per Section 115BAD benefit of the section to allowed only to cooperative societies. It is likely that you are registered as an Artificial Juridical Person base and not as an AOP. Therefore, the form 10IF is not available for filing. In such a case, you are requested to get the details updated through NSDL.
Q: Why validation of bank account is required? Why is my Bank Account not getting pre-validated?
- Only a pre-validated bank account can be nominated to receive Income Tax refund. Further, a pre-validated bank account may also be used by the individual taxpayer for enabling EVC (electronic verification code) for e-Verification purpose. e-Veriﬁcation can be used for Income Tax Returns and other Forms, e-Proceedings, Refund Reissue, Reset Password and secured login to e-Filing account
- For successful pre-validation, you must have a valid PAN registered with e-Filing, and an active bank account linked with the PAN.
- If the validation fails, the details are displayed under Failed Bank Accounts. You can click Re-Validate for the bank in the Failed Bank Accounts section.
- However, before proceeding for validation please ensure that your KYC is also completed from your Bankers end, otherwise, it may throw error again.
Q: What is the format of the name while registering on the e-Filing portal?
Ans: If you are an individual user, you are required to enter the name as per the format of the Name appearing in the PAN:
- First Name
- Middle Name
- Last Name
Q: I am unable to reset my password using DSC. What should I do?
Ans: The option is enabled only in the scenario where the DSC is already registered by the Taxpayer in the Profile earlier. If you wish to reset password using DSC, you need to register the DSC before using it for resetting the password. You can use other options available for the same.
Q: I am unable to reset my password using Aadhaar OTP or e-filing OTP in registered mobile number. What should I do?
Ans: In case you are unable to reset my password using the options, share the following documents at email@example.com.
- In case you are an individual user:
- Scanned copy of your PAN
- Scanned PDF copy of the identity proof (such as passport /Voter Identity card/Driving License /Aadhaar card / Bank passbook with Photo)
- Scanned PDF copy of Address proof (such as passport /Voter Identity card/Driving License /Aadhaar card / Bank passbook with Photo)
- Letter requesting to reset the password by giving the reasons (You should provide your email ID and a Indian Contact number for generating OTP)
- In case you are a corporate user:
- Scanned copy of the PAN card of the Company or PAN allotment letter issued by AO/PAN Service Provider/Local Computer Centre.
- Scanned copy of the proof of date of Incorporation of the Company.
- Scanned copy of the PAN of the principal contact (person responsible to sign the return of income as per section 140 of the Income Tax Act-1961)
- Copy of one more identity proof of the principal contact issued by the Government agencies (Passport /Voter Identity card / Driving License / Aadhaar card etc. if any)
- Address proof for the office of the Company i.e. any one of the documents like Electricity bill/Telephone Bill/Bank Passbook/ Rent Agreement etc. issued in the name of Company.
- Proof of appointment of the Principal Contact, if request made by other than Managing Director / Directors.
- A request letter for resetting the password of the COMPANY in the company letter head duly signed by the principal contact. All listed documents must be self-attested by the Principal Contact. Once the documents are validated, the reset password will be shared through mail id from which request has been received.
Q: What are some of the important points to consider while registering in the income tax portal through DSC?
Ans: You should check the below pre-requirements before reporting the issues to the helpdesk:
- Latest Embridge application should be Installed
- Updated e-Mudhra Token drivers is updated
- You have logged in to the Token Manager
- Local Host e-Mudhra is whitelisted by the System Admin
- Profile and Contact details (Mandatory fields) are updated (log out and re-login after you have updated it)
- Ensure one DSC should be in one dongle (e-token)
Q: I am trying to re-register DSC but getting PAN mismatch error? What should I do?
Ans: Since DSC is already registered in the portal, you need not re-register the same. You can proceed to e-verify the Form / ITR, once he is able to see registered DSC under ‘View Certificate’.
Q: I had registered my DSC in the previous e-Filing portal. Do I need to re-register it in the new portal also?
Q: I am a Non- Individual user. What should I do if DSC is not showing as Registered and Validity field is appearing as Blank under the “Key Person Details”?
Ans: You can can try the below steps:
- In Principal Contact, Profile (i.e. individual user) details should match with DSC obtained – email ID, token name and validity of DSC
- You can try adding the same Key Person again
- When prompted that the same Key person cannot be added – please remove the ‘Key Person’ by selecting the Option- “Left” and add back the same Key Person.
- In case more than one key person is added in the non- individual profile, You need to select the right “Key person” as Principal Contact before e-verifying a Form / ITR.
Q: Can I file rectification when communication is issued u/s 143(1)(a) for prima facie adjustment?
Ans: You should ensure the following:
- Response for agreeing/disagree should be filed when communication is issued u/s 143(1)(a) for PFA;
- Once return is processed and intimation is generated u/s 143(1), you can opt for filing rectification
Q: Can I withdraw rectification after filing?
Ans: No. Rectification application filed online cannot be withdrawn.
Q: In case rectification has been filed, can I file rectification again?
Ans: You can file rectification again once previous rectification request has been processed and order u/s 154 has been issued.