Do not have an account?
Already have an account?

1. What is rectification?
Rectification is an option given to you by the Income Tax Department for correcting a mistake apparent from record in your Income Tax Return. You need to submit a rectification request if there is any mistake apparent from record in your tax return notified to you in an intimation issued u/s 143(1) by the CPC or an order passed u/s 154 by your AO. A rectification request can be submitted only for returns that are already processed by CPC.

2. My previously filed rectification request is yet to be processed. Can I submit or file another rectification request for the same request type?
No. You cannot submit a rectification request for an Assessment Year and a CPC Order Number unless previously filed rectification request for the same combination has been processed.

3. Can I withdraw a rectification request submitted by me?
No. You cannot withdraw a rectification request already submitted. A rectification request once submitted will be closed only after a Rectification Order is passed.

4. Where can I find my rectification reference number?
Once you have submitted your rectification request, you will receive a mail or a message notifying you of your 15-digit rectification reference number. You can also find your 15-digit rectification number under Rectification Status after logging in to your e-Filing account. 

5. Can a taxpayer file for rectification through paper mode? 
No, for returns filed electronically and processed at CPC, the rectification application should be filed online only.

6. Which CPC Number / Order date should I update while filing online rectification request?
You need to update the communication reference number / order date as per the latest order / intimation received from CPC u/s 143(1) or 154.

7. My e-Filed Income Tax Return has been processed by CPC raising a demand / less refund, whom should I approach for rectification?
If your Income Tax Return for the relevant Assessment Year is processed by CPC, then you can file online rectification with CPC after logging in to your e-Filing account. In case the rectification request has already been filed by you and the rectification request has been transferred to AO the same will be taken up for disposal by the AO on his own. If need be the AO may also seek some clarifications from you. However, if you find a delay you may contact your AO for resolution.

8. Can I check my rectification status offline?
No, you cannot view the status offline. You will be required to log in to the e-Filing portal to view the rectification status. 

9.  Can I view the status of my rectification request submitted along with the condonation request?
You will be able to view the status of the rectification request through rectification status service once the condonation request is accepted by the Income Tax Department.